At least six people have been killed and 48 injured in a terror attack in central London on Saturday night. The attack began when a white van stabbed pedestrians on London bridge.
Three men left the vehicle and stabbed a number of people in Borough Market, south of the bridge, an area known for its restaurants and bars.
According to the reports, a man with a knife entered two restaurants at nearby Borough Market, stabbing two people in one restaurant and one person in the other.
Mark Rowley, Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner for specialist operations, in his statement, said,
Armed officers responded very quickly and bravely, confronting three male suspects who were shot and killed in Borough Market. The suspects had been confronted and shot by the police within eight minutes of the first call.
The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes.
The London Ambulance Service said at least 48 people were taken to five hospitals, with many more treated at the scene.
The attacks come days ahead of a June 8 election and less than two weeks after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a pop concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England.
British Prime Minister, Theresa May, in her statement, said, “Following updates from police and security officials, I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism.”
London Mayor Sadiq Khan called it “a deliberate and cowardly attack on innocent Londoners”.